L.D. Best wrote:

>John,
>First thing I noticed about your large image of the middle picture is
>that it is relatively low quality, very grainy.  Did you use a digital
>camera to take it, or did you scan a photograph?

Neither.  My drugstore/developer has a service that puts jpegs, (scanned
inverted negatives) on their website for downloading.  The pic's come in
three sets of resolutions; averaging 2.5M, 750K, and 150K ea.
I downloaded the med. res. ones, thinking they would suffice.  But even
those I can no longer find.  I must have erased them when I nearly ran
out of disk space.  All I've got left are some copies of an even lower
resolution.  In the mean time I got a CD reader, so from now on I'll have
them put on disk instead.

> P.S.  I just realized what I was writing about, and I find it
> flabbergasting that this level of technology is now available to anyone
> who can afford a bundled computer system!  Ms Josephine Blow now has
> better graphics & storage technology available, on that cheapo system
> she bought, than "Lights & Magic" had for the first version of E.T. !!!

> Technology is running so fast ... I hope we can find valid and valuable
> uses for it once in awhile.

I'm sure we are.  Speaking for myself, my life has been enriched
tremendously in the last decade, and almost without cost to me.
Or better said it happened thanks to the thousands, if not millions, of
hours that computer hobbyists put in, to provide "free" software and
infrastructure.  And it's all there for any of us to tap into.

My hobby is heterodox economics, and this new medium has enabled me to
communicate, on equal footing, with some of the foremost minds in the
field.  The fact that the truly eminent are interested to talk to lay
people, because they are aware of their own theories' incompleteness, is
something I couldn't even have dreamt of before the internet and its
discussion groups.
Take care,

John V