Hi Glenn,

Yes, a few minutes was what I expected for the formatting of 467Mb.
But I never saw 'FORMAT' saying that is was going to repair the clusters
first... not stating what was actually going to be repared and not how
long that would take.

Perhaps this has something to do with: "write protect error writing
fixed disk" as stated by FDISK when I made the partition.
Did repairing the clusters meant 'removing the write protection'?
I wonder.

Anyway I started the formatting and 7.5 hours later  47,000 clusters
were repaired and I went to bed.
This morning the partition was ready and formatted. So after all it did
not take 6 days but between 7.5 and 16 hours.

***************************** A few hours later...

I tried to use the formatted partition and could write just aprox 1Mb to
the new partition... disk full, 0 bites left :-((
The command "FORMAT E: /s" was given and format is repairing the
clusters again. I hope the computer is ready in the morning... now I am
going to bed.

I do not realy need this harddisk but this is intruiging, isn't it?

Am I right that 467Mb contains aprox. 911.250 clusters? So we have to
conclude that not all the clusters have to be repaired...

I still have to format a 6Gb HD... 72 days??

Regards, Bastiaan

BTW: computer is a pentium II @ 400MHz.
-
Technische Redactie CQ-PA
Bastiaan Edelman, PA3FFZ
Attentie: e-mail adres bij Wanadoo niet meer gebruiken!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    http://home.hetnet.nl/~ba8tian/index.html

** Virusvrij e-mailen? => Arachne browser/mailer **