On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:44:56 -0500 (CDT), Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kool, Sam;
> I've been really wondering what the heck these shell
> accounts are! What are the benefits, or reasons for
> using a shell account over using your own computer's
> applications?

Speed, power, convenience.

If you are connecting to the Internet through a dial-up PPP
connection to an ISP you are limited by the speed of your
modem.

With a shell account you are giving commands to a remote
computer that will execute those commands on the remote
computer and echo just the screen writes back to you. So
it is executing on what is apt to be a much more powerful
and directly connected computer and it's Internet connection
will be many, many times faster than yours. This can be a real
advantage because it allows you to perform complicated tasks
remotely and then just echo the results to your own screen. All
of the processing is done on the faster remote computer.

Another advantage is that the remote system will be preconfigured
and administered by knowledgeable people. It's already setup and
ready to use. This is a real advantage for someone who wants to
learn something about the Unix world and is not yet capable of
the non-trivial task of administering their own system.

Standard Unix programs like PINE and LYNX are easy to use even
for the uninitiated like myself. I know nothing about configuring
Unix programs--but I used PINE for several years for extensive
email. It was easy.

This is just the tip of the ice berg, as there are many sophisticated
uses for shell accounts--most of which I don't understand.

Sam Ewalt
Croswell, Michigan, USA
-- Arachne V1.70;rev.3, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/