On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, Chris Young wrote:

> (I'm not sure if the fact I emulate an ARM3 makes any difference
> to the clock frequency report - if I try to emulate an ARM2 my
> !Boot hangs or errors)

I've just checked and it doesn't look like the choice of CPU has any
effect on the speed reported by !SICK.

> Looking through my old logs, the previous version reported 20MHz.
> Maybe it was processing data quicker previously but it certainly
> didn't feel as fast!

No, the previous versions of ArcEm were just lying to you :(

!SICK uses the IOC timers (or perhaps the audio/video IRQs?) to measure
the system speed. But until this recent batch of changes those
timers/clocks weren't adjusted to run in real time - they just ran at a
fixed rate of X ticks per Y emulated CPU cycles. So no matter what host
system you were using, !SICK would always report the same performance
figures.

I've managed to make some progress with the 256K/512K/1M memory
configurations. 512K & 1M are now working, but 256K causes a hang on boot
on all the OS versions I've tried. I was able to find the RAM detection
routine in the ROM image (with a little help from the ROOL sources), and
can confirm that the OS is detecting 256K of RAM, but then it all goes
horribly wrong sometime after it starts to set up the page tables. So even
though code exists to detect the configuration, I suspect it simply isn't
supported by the OS. Wikipedia certainly doesn't list any machines that
had 256K of RAM.

Once I've tweaked the hostfs code I'll upload a new version for people to
try out.

Cheers,

- Jeffrey