On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 00:24 +0200, RedShift wrote:
> Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > RedShift schrieb:

> >> What's wrong with putting that in fstab? What if I don't want to have
> >> that mounted? So instead of modified fstab I'd have to mess with
> >> rc.sysinit everytime the initscripts get upgraded? This is the same
> >> discussion as with moving lo to rc.sysinit instead of leaving it in
> >> rc.conf. Uterly pointless.
> >
> > The point is, everyone needs it mounted. Your system will be completely
> > useless without devpts (as it is without the lo interface).
> >
> > However, I know your opinion on these issues. Are there any rational
> > reasons not to hardcode devpts?
> >

> Yes. It's not logical. fstab was made for mounting filesystems, why even
> consider moving it to rc.sysinit? It's not because it makes the system
> unusable without it, that it should be moved to rc.sysinit. Why the change
> anyway? What's the benefit? Now we're going to see "Heeey stuff's being
> mounted that's not in fstab? wtf?". This change is just plain irrational,
> fstab was _specifically made_ for mounting filesystems. If you're going to
> hardcode stuff like that you might as well throw away fstab.
>
> Glenn

/proc and /sys are already hardcoded. About your system being broken
without these filesystems mounted:
- SSH (both server and client) won't work without devpts mounted
- None of the virtual X terminal things will work without devpts mounted

One sidenote though: I don't think users will break their system,
the /dev/shm and /dev/pts mounts are in fstab during setup and I think
most people don't remove them. I haven't seen bugs about "hey my system
doesn't boot, but when I add these lines to /etc/fstab it works"