On 08/10/2012 12:41 AM, gt wrote:

Why don't you guys try something like claws or sylpheed, if you are
having problem with thunderbird. I have used claws a couple of times
and I can say that it consumes minimal resources (for a graphical
client).

Unless lots has changed recently, Claws is not really a great replacement for TB. In large part due to lack of html compose support (e.g. font control and tables can be pretty darn important for some). Evolution might be, tho it used to crash a lot - perhaps it has improved recently and is worth trying again.

I use a local imap server for local storage - even on my laptop - so I can change email clients with zero dependence on any clients local storage quirks.

I am running TB 17 - one thing worth checking is to ensure GLODA is turned off (edit->prefs->advanced->general). This has caused terrible cpu and io activity for me in the past.

On my laptop, while roaming, if i lose connections - then sometimes TB re-checks and indexes things - which causes CPU spikes for a bit - but they go away.

 gene