> The 2:nd will prompt for your password when it installs the package.

Aah, uses sudo and then su. I was wondering how pacman would gain the
permissions.

        # check for sudo if we will need it during makepkg execution
        if (( ! ( ASROOT || INFAKEROOT ) && ( DEP_BIN || RMDEPS ||
        INSTALL ) )); then if ! type -p sudo >/dev/null; then
                        warning "$(gettext "Sudo can not be found. Will
        use su to acquire root privileges.")" fi
        fi

Does it or shouldn't it just try sudo or check it's allowed and fall
back to su as sudo may be there but not allow the particular command or
arguments.

/usr/bin/grep -C 5 -i sudo /usr/bin/makepkg
                printf -v cmd "%q " "$PACMAN" $PACMAN_OPTS "$@"
        else
                printf -v cmd "%q " "$PACMAN" "$@"
        fi