On 30 May 2015 at 13:03, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:16:59 +0000, AC wrote:
On 29/05/15 at 02:35pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
LANG=en_US.utf8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

$ grep en /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "#" ; grep de /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "#"
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_GB ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US ISO-8859-1
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

I don't understand why "utf8" is generated on my machine.

I already explained that, glibc *internally* normalizes the charset
part of the locale name.
(because in the past people would inconsitently use iso88591
iso-8859-1 iso_8859_1 and other combinations thereof)

ALWAYS use .UTF-8 when setting up the locale.

Can you please also run the command

"LANG=en_US.UTF-8 locale"

also

if "LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 claws-mail" still complains the problem is in
the application and you should ask upstream.

btw, is there any real issue or just the annoying logs?

--
damjan

Hey Damjan,

The Ralfs problem comes from trying to run two en_US locales but
with different encoding and I spotted that. But as you mentioned that
glib is involved I did some research and it looks like you and I were
correct:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-March/msg00253.html

Cheers