On Wednesday 04 January 2006 18:57, Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 18:36 +0100, Damir Perisa wrote:
> > - "Alt Gr" does not work any more. reason may be:
> > (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> > ... however, the keymap seems to work fine in X (i use de_CH and can type
> > öäüéàè without problems)
>
> xkbdata is horribly broken. I've seen several keymaps failing. It seems
> they ported the xkbdata stuff from the new xkeyboard-config project,
> which is far from ideal too (I tried packaging it on my system, after
> installing it gnome-settings-daemon crashes multiple times after
> changing keymaps and my scrollock LED is always burning when capslock
> and numlock are off).

good that i know. unfortunately, this lack of AltGr makes it impossible to
type the pipe... and this is handicapping "breathing" in bash ;-)
are there any known workarounds for it?

> > -  xfterm4 looks strange and also has this warning:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ xfterm4
> > Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected,
> > reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and
> > host-based authentication failed
> > Warning: Cannot convert string
> > "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type
> > FontStruct
>
> The Authentication stuff is "normal" I guess: you're trying to start it
> as different user than you're running X with and your XFCE session
> manager refuses to talk to that user I guess.

it's the same user that does "startx" (that does exec startxfce4) and the one
that starts xfterm4 from xterm.

> The fonts however.... you're missing the adobe helvetica font, which is
> provided by xorg-fonts-100dpi or xorg-fonts-75dpi.

> Yup, those are missing :)

installed, fixed, thanx!

> > - some other strange warning:
> > (--) using VT number 7
> > (WW) xf86OpenConsole: Could not save ownership of VT
> > (WW) xf86OpenConsole: chown /dev/tty0 failed: No such file or directory
>
> Looks like xorg doesn't know TTY names for udev systems, have to check
> this, though it's not really harmful.

ok

> > - GLcore fails loading: undefined symbol "__glXLa"
> > (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
> > (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
> > dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so: undefined symbol:
> > __glXLa
> > stContext
> > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
> > (II) UnloadModule: "GLcore"
> > (EE) Failed to load module "GLcore" (loader failed, 7)
>
> Solution: remove GLCore from the LoadModules, GLCore is loaded by
> modules that need OpenGL, like GLX. You can see GLcore has an undefined
> symbol to GLX related stuff.

ok, GLCore is removed from xorg.conf now.

> > - yet another warning:
> > (WW) ATI(0): Cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer.
>
> Guess that's a limitation in the driver, or a hardware limitation.

ok

> > - i2c failed with mach64:
> > (II) LoadModule: "i2c"
> > (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libi2c.so
> > (II) Module i2c: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> >         compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.2.0
> >         ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.8
> > (WW) ATI(0): I2C bus Mach64 initialisation failure.
> > (II) ATI(0): I2C bus "Mach64" removed.
>
> What hardware are you using? The mach64 driver is quite new I guess, I
> don't have these I2C errors with the Radeon driver. When I2C fails, you
> also don't have DDC on most Radeons.

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X rev 92, Mem @
0x40000000/24, 0x41000 000/12, I/O @ 0x1000/8

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Card0".
(II) ATI:  Shared PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 detected.
(II) ATI:  Shared PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 assigned to active "Device"
section "Card0".

(II) ATI(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE Version 2.0
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 2048 kB
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI MACH64
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: MACH64GT
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC Level 2
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 2 sec.
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC read successfully

it's an 9 year old computer, but it worked with early "mach64" driver in 3.3.x
now it seems to work with module called "ati". it's long ago, i worked on
this computer. the laptop however has a radeon chipset (firegl 7800 i think)
but i cannot check not before tomorrow (hopefully)

thanx + greetings,

-

--
266MHz is enough!