On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:08:20 +0100
"François Charette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The previous question concerning dblatex reminds me of the following
> facts:
>
> 1) teTeX (provided in Arch's extra repo) is no longer maintained
> (since May 2006).
> 2) TeXLive 2007 is going to be released very soon (as CD installable
> iso image and live DVD, with pre-built binaries for many platforms
> and packages for virtually all of the "free" stuff on CTAN).
> 3) Also Debian offers packages based on the 2005 release of TeXLive.
>
> I have been using TeXLive for several years now (and LaTeX for over a
> decade). So far I have always installed it manually from the iso
> image. I have also some experience in compiling the whole web2c
> beast...
>
> My question is thus: are there enough (La)TeX aficionados among Arch
> users that would justify the effort to create packages based on
> TeXLive2007 for the benefit of our community ?? I'd be ready to
> invest some time for that, but perhaps it would be best done in
> collaboration with someone else, after a short period of
> brainstorming? What does Jason (maintainer of the tetex package)
> think of that?
>
> Cheers,

I have no problem maintaining something more recent than tetex,
assuming it's backwards compatible.  If we moved to TexLive, we'd
probably just make it replace tetex and be done with it.

My understanding is that TexLive totally replaces tetex and there are
no regressions worth talking about.  Is this correct?

Jason