the answer is pretty obvious u said it yourself. far too many apps (mostly
gtk) depend on python. developers tried to postpone updating python by
applying important patches to the 2.4.4 version. many package maintainers
might not have the time to upgrade packages now. as far as i can tell
updating all python packages + pacman 3 will lead to 0.8 Voodoo