Hello,

I recently installed a relatively old (~4/5 years) laptop for a friend
which is, of course running Arch. This laptop got an old Xircom PCMCIA
card who can do both Ethernet and V92.

My friend needs to connect to the Internet using a dialup connection.

I installed and configured this laptop here at home using my broadband
connection and gave it back to my friend thinking everything was OK
and she could connect without any problem to her ISP. I recommended
her KPPP because I was using it many years ago back in the days I had
to connect to the internet using dialup with a "good old" RedHat 5.x
box but....

...Nothing is working as expected !

Unfortunately, since I don't have a phone line at home, I couldn't
test it before and I don't have the laptop here with me.

The only thing I know is the modem starts to dial the number and then,
some seconds after the "R2D2" sounds :) she is seeing some messages
saying /dev/ppp0 was not found and pppd died unexpectedly.

So, my question here is: Are you using a dialup connection (preferably
using KPPP) and, if so, could you tell me what are the necessary steps
to make it working ?

Any modules / daemons to load within /etc/rc.conf ?
Any changes to make to some files in /etc/ppp/* ?

I didn't have great success searching the ML archives, Forum and the wiki :( !

Thanks for your help.
Gilles.