On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 07:56:28PM -0500, Scott wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 05:01:21PM -0800, Richard Gananathan wrote:
> > >
> > > (Off topic, I'm sure there is a way to set the threaded view to be the
> > > default view for your mailbox somehow in the .muttrc but I am too dumb
> > > to figure it out.)
> >
> > I don't often use it, so I've forgotten, but check the system wide
> > /etc/Muttrc, it should have it.
>
> Meanwhile, another fellow from tlug, who has been involved with cell
> phone software comments that most newer phones (including KDDI's) can
> read unicode.  Perhaps your senpai has an older phone.

Ok, Richard, with the assistance of the folks at tlug, I believe I have
a solution for you.  The thread goes on for awhile, and can be viewed in
their archives at www.tlug.jp.

http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0703/maillist.html

The user name is tlug and the password is archives.

The solution is to put in your .muttrc

set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-2022-jp:utf-8"

This will use iso-2022-jp as the first choice with Japanese.  Testing
it, I found it to work without problem.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

 Colonel: Every inch of this installation is under constant, 24-hour
surveillance.
 Willow: Including the secret lab?
 Colonel: Everything! (pause) What secret lab?