On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 11:18:02AM +0200, François Charette wrote:

> I currently notice some strange things that have to do with the
> transition current->core.
> (Note that I have updated /etc/pacman.conf, /etc/abs.conf and did a
> system upgrade as well as an abs upgrade).
>
> 1. "abs" creates new stuff under /var/abs/core/ for packages that also
> still exist under /var/abs/{base,daemon,system,etc} Why are the latter
> not deleted automatically?
> For example: I have both
> /var/abs/core/base/tar (ver 1.18-2)
> and /var/abs/base/tar (ver 1.18-1)

I had this problem too, I just deleted /var/abs/{base,daemon,system,etc}
manually, not a big deal.
I'm not sure if this could have been avoided anyway.

> 2. Many installed packages that I have under
> /var/abs/{base,daemon,system,etc} are no longer in pacman's database.
> For example:
>     $ pacman -Q acpi
>     acpi 0.09-1
> but
>     $ pacman -Ss ^acpi$
> yields nothing!
> Same thing for a bunch of other basic packages: acpid, apache, alsa-lib,
> alsa-oss, alsa-utils, etc etc

No problem here. Does this still happen after pacman -Sy or pacman -Syy ?
You could also try several other mirrors.

> 3. Also the following command gives an error:
>     $ pacman -Sl current
>     error: repository "current" was not found.
> even though there are still many entries under /var/lib/pacman/current

pacman probably first checks the [current] entry in /etc/pacman.conf before
looking in /var/lib/pacman/current .