>DP> Wednesday 03 October 2007, Sergej Pupykin wrote:
>DP>  | I tell about it in my first letter. XFS have ~1-4G allocation
>DP>  | groups and spread files over them... And many unix fs do the same.

>DP> then using xfs is an alternative. what "many other" fs do you refer
>DP> to? would be good to have a list and compare. reiserfs certainly does
>DP> not do it as well as ext2. as far i know only ext3 with indexed dirs
>DP> does something similar.

As I know, jfs place very small files directly into directory.

reiserfs places file tails in single B+ tree with directory entries and
inodes.

ext2 split disk to cylinder group. but I'm not sure how it searches empty space.

"same" does not mean allocation groups like xfs, but spreading files over the
disk.

Flash file systems like jffs spread files specially...

It is hardly to place files together I think...

PS. I just confused with wiki description & pacman-optimize code and
already update wikipage.