Wednesday 03 October 2007, Sergej Pupykin wrote:
 | Most of files in pacman dir have size < 1 block, so there is no
 | fragmentation. 312 files from 28087 on my machine have size > 4K.
 | All of them (except 2 big .install files) are filelisting and
 | placed in pacman/local directory.

the file itself is not fragmented. but the files all together are not
at the same place after a long time of usage. in the worst case the
harddrive has to do seek for every file instead of by one run read
the whole pacman database.

since this fragmentation happens only over a long time (years), most
of the users will not feel the optimisation immediately. it makes
also an implementation of a more sophisticated (complex) database
futile. (a mysql db would be much faster than accessing single files
i guess)

- D

--
                  <º)))><