Hi,

I experience some strange problems with my loopback-on-ext3-setup and it
would be very helpful if some of you could confirm this behaviour.

It's a very simple setup:

        1) create a dummy file (size: 5GB)
                dd if=/dev/zero of=dummy bs=1M count=5000

        2) create a loopback device on the dummy file
                losetup /dev/loop/0 dummy

        3) write on the loopback device or create a filesystem
                dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/loop/0 bs=1M
                mke2fs -m 0 /dev/loop/0

Both commands (dd and mke2fs) should take ages to complete while hanging
around in WCHAN `congestion_wait' for most of the time.

To find out, what your dd is doing right now, you could do this:

        ps -eo command,wchan | grep ^dd

or check top(1).

Thanks,

Petar

P.S:    $ uname -a
        Linux pintail 2.6.23-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 27 09:04:14 UTC
        2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz GenuineIntel
        GNU/Linux