Hi Chris,
I'm not sure about the errors that say "*could not change directory to
root" .*  Could it be that your'e not logged on to the machine as an
administrator?  I'm not sure that's even required.

For step 3 you don't have to install Django or Elasticsearch yourself.
Running   ./install.sh  will take care of that for you.

We've just updated to installation guide to make that more clear.

Cheers,
Alexei

Director of Web Development - Farallon Geographics, Inc. - 971.227.3173