Greetings Andy.
Nice to meet you and welcome to the Arches forum!
Our official greeter, Ed, is off on vacation (actually here in the States) and
I agreed to step in for him, but I cannot hope to aspire to his level of
eloquence.

I'm so pleased that you've made everyone on the forum aware of your enormous
efforts and the very impressive Megalithic Portal. I'm sure that many will find
it extremely interesting, and there are bound to be opportunities to
collaborate in the future.

Best for now,
Alison

>>> <megalit...@gmail.com> 04/19/14 10:21 AM >>>
Hello Ed and all, my name is Andy B. I am a Chartered Electronics Engineer and
the founder of the Megalithic Portal ancient sites web resource which has been
running since 2001.
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/index.php?tab=full

I see we have quite a few from India on the list so you might be interested in
our pages for the subcontinent:
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/search.php?query=&country=18

You might also like to try 'Click or QR code to find ancient sites close to
your current location'
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146414191

Some of the features we offer are
* worldwide ancient site database
* 'geographically enabled' archaeology news and email newsletter
* Feeds to RSS, and GeoRSS, Twitter, Facebook etc
* the facility for visitors to log their visits to ancient sites and view all
their contributions
* data downloads in KML and other formats.
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/topics.php?countries=1&kmldown=1
* A simple REST/XML API that can be queried and which forms the basis of a
mobile version of our site.
All this has grown organically over the last 12 years to include 115,000+
images, 50,000+ pages, thousands of amateur contributors and a society of 150
members affiliated to the CBA.

We work very hard to involve people from a host of different backgrounds - many
not otherwise invvolved in archaeology - to document and protect prehistoric
and other ancient sites near them.

But to get back to the point:
What is your interest in Arches?

In the past we as a group have tended to 'plough our own furrow' but as
developer I would like to see how I could work in more of a collaborative
manner to continue to develop what we have done so far. Our underlying
infrastructure is based on an open source content management system (CMS) and
consists of conventional pages with 'geo-hacks' (if you will) rather than a
full map/GIS format. Our infrastructure is old in web terms but stable and well
understood by our contributors.  We find having a 'site page' / gallery / user
contributed format to be our major strength but I would like to use more of a
GIS/layered approach to presentation.

I'm interested in how CMS based sites such as ours which use PHP could interact
with the map/GIS format of Arches. I've done a lot of evaluation of Drupal,
Wordpress etc but have not really found anything with flexibility or longevity
we would need. I've been very impressed with a community mapping project called
Ushahidi with which I think links could be forged. As a group we work with
projects such as Geograph, and to integrate images from Flickr and Google
Street View.

I'm also interested in how 'proper' dating (of various levels of accuracy) can
be added to such geographic databases.

Where in the world are you working?
Surrey, UK

What can you see out of the window? Is there any heritage in your view?
I suspect we have buried archaeology in the field opposite as it is the site of
a (water) spring and there are Saxon burials quite close by. However I have not
looked!

Best Regards
Andy
The Megalithic Portal