Stephen, I've had the same issue, and solved it by changing
the applications.txt file's group to apache's group, which is www-data. Try
this command:

sudo chgrp www-data /home/ubuntu/Projects/ascat/ascat/logs/application.txt

If that solves your problem, we'll add a new message to the other thread
for future reference.

Cheers,
Adam