Hi Richard, that is something that you would set in Arches.  It's very
simple:

Open your the media/js/map/base-layers.js file in your app.  At the bottom
you should see something like: baseLayers[0].layer.setVisible(true);.  The
0 in that line corresponds to an index position in the list of base layers
that you can see a couple of lines up.  To change from the first (0) to the
second (1) layer in the list--the satellite layer--just replace the 0 with
a 1.  That should do it!

Adam