Hello Arches Community!

I am very excited to about the Arches Project and this new thing called
Github. Unfortunately, I am a newbie...and have lots to learn. After
searching thru the previous posts on this topic, none seemed to
specifically addressed the items I am struggling with - so here goes.

I was able to download and install all of the "Dependencies" listed here
http://arches3.readthedocs.org/en/stable/installing-dependencies-windows/
<http://arches3.readthedocs.org/en/stable/installing-dependencies-windows/>and
I am fairly confident that each are installed in the right locations on my
local machine.....

However, for PostgreSQL 9.3 - I do not understand the following:

   - After installing PostgreSQL you’ll need to run 2 commands from a
   command window (this only applies to PostgreSQL 9.2 and above). Open a
   command window and at the command prompt type the following:

createdb -U postgres -E UTF8 -T template0 template_postgis_20
psql -U postgres -d template_postgis_20 -c "CREATE EXTENSION postgis;"

Where am I supposed to type these lines of code? Do I need to include any
additional syntax? How do I know if this worked? And what the heck is a
"Port"? (I have tried typing the info into the SQL Shell and Python27
Command Window, but neither seem to work. Screenshots below)

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JalfXaETJro/Vsh4htLEaTI/AAAAAAAACWs/-oycVWAOCgQ/s1600/1.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-07AnI7uW9IU/Vsh5SYmUAPI/AAAAAAAACW0/ASo5XOlrHyo/s1600/2.JPG>

My second challenge involves upgrading pip.py. I have Python 2.7.9
installed on my machine, but when I type the recommended code "python -m
pip install -U pip" into the command prompt - I get "SyntaxError: invalid
Syntax" (screen shot below). Wondering, what am I missing here? How can I
get this to work?

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KE8LYH305nY/Vsh7DcZk0eI/AAAAAAAACW8/moSq3jiL5B4/s1600/3.JPG>

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Nicole