Hi Nicole, glad you've found Arches and are working your way through it!

Both of the issues you mention stem from a misunderstanding of the command
window (when I was learning this stuff, I also found that some of the most
difficult things were the most basic because so many tutorials assume you
know then already).

On windows, to open a "command prompt" like you need for working with
arches, just go to the start menu and type "cmd" and hit enter.  You should
get a console that looks something like this:
[image: Inline image 1]
But what is it!?  Basically, it's way to use your computer without a
mouse.  The commands that you see in the Arches documentation should be run
from here.  I don't know if that will solve all your problems, but it's
definitely the first step.

Some tips on using the windows command prompt:
You are always "in" a directory (folder).
use cd (change directory) to move to a different folder:
cd arches to enter a directory called arches (if it exists)
dir to list the contents of a directory
cd .. to move "up" one directory
[image: Inline image 3]

Slightly more advanced:
For commands like you are trying to run, it's good to understand how the
syntax is working.  Generally, the first word is the command itself, and
what follows are considered arguments that are passed to that command.  So,
when you are in the command prompt and you write
python -m pip install -U pip
you are saying "run python with the following arguments"
Later, you'll be using
python manage.py packages -o install
in which you are instructing python to run the file 'manage.py' and you are
passing some arguments to that file.

Hopefully that's helps a bit and good luck!
Adam