Hi Angela, I have done a very similar thing for my current project, though
it was a lot of extra work, partly because I had some other requirements
beyond what you describe.

It isn't fully completed yet, but, just for reference, I have the
in-progress dev installation here: fpan.legiongis.com, and the code is
arches <https://github.com/legiongis/arches/tree/fpan_master> (my own fork
of the main repo), fpan <https://github.com/legiongis/fpan> (the project),
and fpan-data <https://github.com/legiongis/fpan-data> (the package).

Just as you describe, I have two separate stylesheets, and load them based
on who is logged in. Doing so was not too difficult

1. added this file and use python to check for user groups/username etc.
https://github.com/legiongis/fpan/blob/master/fpan/utils/
context_processors.py
2. added this line to load that variable into all templates
https://github.com/legiongis/fpan/blob/master/fpan/settings.py#L26
3. use this variable in a template to decide which stylesheet to load
https://github.com/legiongis/fpan/blob/master/fpan/
templates/base-manager.htm#L30

As for geographically-based access to resources, there is no built-in way
to achieve what you are looking for, though it may be coming in the future.
For the FPAN project I, like you, needed to restrict access to resources
based on geography, but I also needed to be able to manually assigned
certain resources to certain users. Solving both these issues at the same
time led to a different solution than you probably want. I created a new
"spatial join" function which adds an attribute to a resource whenever its
location is saved (e.g. the name of a region, or the name of the state
agency that controls the land). Then I used that attribute as a filter in
search, etc. So it's not a proper geographic filter, it's an attribute
filter based on an attribute that is automatically derived from geography.
If you are interested in this approach, I would be happy to explain it
further, though it was quite involved.

Adam