It depends on what map layers you are talking about. I suspect you are
referring to the resource Overlays, as opposed to the layers based on the
search results (the markers and the hex bins). I'm thinking if you were
able to add a search filter, your search results are filtered correctly on
the map too.

As for the resource overlays, unfortunately I haven't had any time to try
and work with those. Those layers are handled completely separate from the
search results so I assume that filter them would be a very different task.
If you make any progress on that, please let me know.

The filter I added to search.py may be more complex than you need, because
I needed to apply a term filter based on a user's name (or group, depending
on the category of user) to only 1 out of 3 resources models (which are
different "types" within the elasticsearch "resource" index). You can see
the work in the 4 commits here between dec. 7th and 21st
https://github.com/legiongis/arches/commits/fpan_master/arches/app/views/search.py.
Note that I made some new settings which are kind of use-case specific.

Adam