Can you upload other types of documents, like a picture?

The error output is a little unexpected, so any more details about the
process you're following would be helpful. I will also say that we are
working on an update to the documentation, which will include a
re-examination of the media management section, so it's possible there is a
missing configuration step or something (though this should basically work
without error anyway, using the Django dev server as you are...)

Adam