Profiles support is a major feature that comes with Carbon 4.2.0.

What I understood from the stand-up meetings we had on Carbon release
progress yesterday is that, products have not yet thought
about properly making use of this feature.

Front end / back end separation is just "scratching the surface" using this
capability.

The real use is to make use of that to run the product pack in a specific
mode. The most obvious is the API-M case, where you can have the three
profiles of:
store
publisher
gateway

But even products like AS can make effective use of this.
e.g.
DS, WebApp, Jaggery, Services profiles for AS

Please think through this with with respect to each product.

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.