Hi All,
As a PoC I just completed the carbon-component-governance. Please find it
in [1] and let me know your comments and suggestions. Please keep in mind
that this is not in a buildable state since other components need to build
before this.

thanks
Eranda

[1] https://github.com/wso2/carbon-component-governance

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Afkham Azeez <az...@wso2.com> wrote:

> [Sorry for the very long mail. I want to document all that I had in mind &
> the stuff we discussed. I would recommend all devs to take some time to
> read this]
>

> I would like to summarize he discussion we had a couple of days back.
>
> *The Problems*
> The problems we are trying to solve are as follows:
>
> 1. Trunk & branches structures being completely different
> 2. Branches containing directories with version numbers
> 3. It is impossible to move to GitHub with the current structure because
> of #2
> 4. It is very easy to break the build by changing already released code.
> The room for human error is high.
> 5. Bamboo builds are eternally broken because the build fails at some
> point & Bamboo cannot continue any further
> 6. When we branch, the trunk quickly becomes obsolete, and remains in that
> broken state until the next major platform release.
> 7. Everybody has to build all components/features, even if those are not
> related to their products
> 8. Fixed versions in branches instead of using SNAPSHOT versions. This
> makes it impossible to upload build artifacts to Maven/Nexus repos. This
> leads to #7.
> 9. Impossible to integrate code quality tools such as EraInsight because
> of #5
>
> *Proposed solution*
> We have come up with the following solution after much deliberation &
> thought.
>
> Rationale:
> We started looking at other open source projects out there. We took Axis2
> as an example. Axis2 had many dependencies including Axiom, XmlSchema,
> Woden, WSS4J etc. Those 3rd party dependencies were also developed by some
> Axis2 contributors, but we never branched all of those together and brought
> them into the same code branch. We used to start what we used to call a
> release train, where the upstream code would have to be released first
> before the downstream code such as Axis2 & Synapse could be released. This
> way, we never had any of the problems outlined above.
>
> If you look at the WSO2 product releases, again, the scenario is not that
> much different from the Axis2/Synapse releases. Components & features are
> simply dependencies of the products. In order to get product releases out,
> we first need releases of those dependencies (components/features). So the
> proposal is to identify the top level components/features, and first
> release that code before doing product releases. Each of those components
> will have a GitHub repo. All active development will be done on the main
> branch of those components, and will be branched when they are close to the
> release. Instead of granting commit rights to all, we could only allow the
> primary developers of those components to commit, and others can send pull
> requests, which will be merged in by the primary owners after reviewing.
> [...]

*Eranda Sooriyabandara*Senior Software Engineer;
Integration Technologies Team;
WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

E-mail: eranda AT wso2.com