Hi Ayesha,

IMO,if you have an intention to expose your API to third party developers
best way to secure is using oAuth2 where third party developer can generate
his consumer id/secret and generate an API token and use that token to
 access APIs. Wso2APIM is using that protocol.If you wish can use wso2IS as
a token-provider, but I believe in your case  basic-oAuth [1] over SSL
would be sufficient enough.

And why we need two REST apis here? we can validate user directly in your
CURD rest api?

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2617

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Ruchira Wageesha <ruch...@wso2.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Ayesha Dissanayaka <aye...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have implemented ES Publisher REST API in order to access and perform
>> CRUD operations on ES -BackOffice.
>>
>> Each endpoint is authenticated by a valid Session-ID, passed to the
>> endpoint in request header.
>>
>> In-order to obtain a session-ID we have implemented a separate
>> authenticate REST endpoint. A user can send username and password in the
>> POST request to this endpoint and if credentials are valid a session-id
>> will be returned.
>>
>> Currently, no encryption or other (basic-aouth/aouth) authorization
>> mechanism is yet implemented.
>>
>> What would be the lightweight and best way to secure this
>> 'authentication' endpoint? Is there a particular wso2 way of doing this?
>>
> I assume you need to get a recommendation for securing all the REST APIs,
> whether to use OAuth, Basic Auth etc. as you have secured it based on the
> cookie, right??
>
> Anyway, in order to secure the auth endpoint, you will have to at least
> use HTTPS.
>

>> Thanks!
>> - Ayesha
>>
>> --
>> *Ayesha Dissanayaka*
>> Software Engineer,
>> WSO2, Inc : http://wso2.com
>> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwso2.com&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEZvyc0uMD1HhBaEGCBxs6e9fBObg>
>> 20, Palmgrove Avenue, Colombo 3
>> E-Mail: aye...@wso2.com <ayshsa...@gmail.com>
>>

> --
>
> *Ruchira Wageesha**Associate Technical Lead*
> *WSO2 Inc. - lean . enterprise . middleware |  wso2.com <http://wso2.com>*
>
> *email: ruch...@wso2.com <ruch...@wso2.com>,   blog:
> ruchirawageesha.blogspot.com <http://ruchirawageesha.blogspot.com>,
> mobile: +94 77 5493444 <%2B94%2077%205493444>*

Roshan Wijesena.
Senior Software Engineer-WSO2 Inc.
Mobile: *+94752126789*
Email: ros...@wso2.com