I believe this is a perfect example for API Everywhere concept. In EMM -
some APIs are exposed to the devices with this concept. Basically a tomcat
valve validates the security tokens - the security protocol used here is
OAuth.

Another question I have on the BackOffice API is - whether this is the same
API used by the Publisher App itself?

Cheers~

Chan (Dulitha Wijewantha)
Software Engineer - Mobile Development