On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Isuru Perera <isu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have another question.
>
> The MSF4J depends on Metrics and now Metrics needs MSF4J to implement REST
> services. So, there is a cyclic dependency. I think it's wrong that
> carbon-metrics repo [1] depending on msf4j repo [2].
>
> One solution to this is to have separate repos for metrics.
>
> One repo will include only the metrics core features and it'll not depend
> on the MSF4J. Then MSF4J can depend on metrics core. We can create another
> repository to keep the REST services and gadgets to view the metrics.

We are targeting MSF4J at external developers. Unlike our other components
& products, if the relevant code is in several places, it could become
cumbersome for external developers. I think what should be done is have
metrics-core, on which MSF4J depends, and then have metrics REST services
somewhere else. That can take a dependency on both metrics-core and MSF4J.

> WDYT?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> [1] https://github.com/wso2/carbon-metrics
> [2] https://github.com/wso2/msf4j
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Kishanthan Thangarajah <
> kishant...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Like with generic HTTP Monitoring Dashboard (gadgets), we could have
>> generic gadgets for Metrics here so that products can reuse them with the
>> analytics dashboard.
>>
>> I think you can do a carbon 5 based release of the metrics dependencies
>> (a carbon feature release) and also expose those services used with metrics
>> data fetching as microservices as you mentioned.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Isuru Perera <isu...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback. So, we agree that the Carbon Metrics should
>>> continue supporting JDBC reporter and visualize the Metrics via gadgets.
>>>
>>> With Carbon Metrics v2.0.0, we will have the Console, JMX, JDBC and DAS
>>> reporters.
>>>
>>> I will remove all management console UIs. We need to develop REST APIs
>>> to get data from the database (The Metrics data reported by JDBC reporter).
>>> I'm planning to use MSF4J for developing REST APIs. I hope the security of
>>> the REST APIs will be handled by MSF4J.
>>>
>>> For Metrics visualization, we need to develop gadgets. The gadgets will
>>> support fetching data from the database (via MSF4J REST APIs) and from the
>>> DAS REST APIs.
>>>
>>> My next question is where we can keep these gadgets. Is it okay to
>>> develop these gadgets within Carbon Metrics repository? Since these gadgets
>>> will be in a CAPP and it needs to be deployed in a dashboard server, I
>>> think it's better to have these gadgets in a separate repository. For
>>> example, I think that there is no point having the Metrics CAPP in a Carbon
>>> Metrics feature as the Carbon Metrics features will be installed to a
>>> normal product (eg. ESB) and the analytics related features will not be
>>> available in a normal product. We need to install the CAPP to a dashboard
>>> server. So, how are we going to let other users to deploy Metrics CAPP?

> [...]

*Afkham Azeez*
Director of Architecture; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com
* <http://www.apache.org/>*
*email: **az...@wso2.com* <az...@wso2.com>