Hi Manu,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Manuranga Perera <m...@wso2.com> wrote:

> 1) We had a chat about how we can use gadget parameters instead of
>>> generation, have you guys considered that approach?
>>>
>>> We have cases like database credentials which should not be shown to the
>> user and should not be editable from the gadget properties. Further we also
>> need a model that gadget should be greeted by some privileged user and used
>> by others, so the gadget generation is the appropriate model to handle
>> this.
>>
>  I thought we can come up with a way to attach permissions to the params,
> so they can be hidden depending on the user. (this will help us generally
> not just for gadget gen case)

Yeah, initially i also thought we can go with such an approach. But then
there are some dynamic params that you need to populate based on the
previous selection that you have done. Ie, for example if it's batch
data/realtime/rdbms then the form params that you need to display is
different for each. If we are going to have such capabilities then it's
equal to have wizard apporach, and I don't really see much difference.

Anyhow our objective was to create a framework, where you can plug any data
providers and chart types easily and generate the gadget. With this we also
have removed the dependency of analytics gadget generation part from the
carbon-dashboards repo, and people can have their own providers and chart
types, in their repo and they can include that in the build time to get
only into their product.

Thanks,
Sinthuja.

Edit/ Re-generate function is not supported yet.

>>> 2) The issues is, with this model it will be harder to support that even
>>> in the future. At least we should serialize all the parameters with the
>>> generated gadget.
>>>
>> Editing is something we can achieve with very little effort, if we store
>> all the properties that we have passed in the UI in a config file within
>> the gadget then we can simply load that to the gadget generation wizard
>> when we need to modify the gadget.
>>
> Ya, that's what I also meant by serialize. But in that case the UX is
> broken compared to the parameter method, since the user still has to go
> though the wizard again, and you can't see the values from the left panel.
>
> --
> With regards,
> *Manu*ranga Perera.
>
> phone : 071 7 70 20 50