Hi All,

Developing a biometric authenticator is a previously started project for
the WSO2 Identity Server for which previous work consists of the
implementation of the server-side and a POC developed for Android mobile
phones to enable the use of Biometric authentication. The authentication
process is conducted by sending a push notification to the mobile phone
which requests the user to authenticate using the stored biometrics in the
device [1][2]. When proceeding forward we want to rebrand the project as a
push-based authenticator (the name is not finalized yet). The rebranding is
required as we will be improving the authenticator to support methods other
than Biometric authentication (e.g. Authenticate by responding “Yes” to the
push notification).

The current progress of the mobile application has a proof of concept
developed for Android. We will be selecting React Native as the framework
to proceed ahead with development as both Android and iOS will be
supported. Using a cross-platform framework gives the ability to maintain a
single codebase.  The selection of RN is due to it being a matured
technology and the most used cross-platform framework in the industry. It
also has a large community built around it enabling developers to get
support when required.

As Phase 1 of this project, we will be developing the application with only
the push-based authentication feature. Other methods such as biometric
authentication will be supported by later iterations of the application.

[1] - mail: “[IAM] Implementing Biometric Authenticator to integrate with
Mobile devices.” - architecture@wso2.org |
https://markmail.org/message/r2scjjbxfjfdd7yd

[2] - mail: “[Architecture] Implementing Biometric Authenticator to
integrate with Mobile devices.” - architecture@wso2.org |
https://markmail.org/message/aakcxedekz3zajgt

Thanks and regards,

Kushan
--
Kushan Bhareti | Software Engineering Intern | WSO2 Inc.
<http://www.wso2.com>

[image: https://wso2.com/signature] <https://wso2.com/signature>