What Wendy said :)

- we should roll back the commit, I don't think it's a good idea in general (and IIUC, it doesn't apply the changes for the pre- configured repos at all) - if we agree to pre-configure the repos, we need to seek a simpler solution.

Joakim - I'm a little confused about the purpose of your mail - everything screamed that you thought the solution was a bad idea and then you suggested you might go ahead with it :) Just saying, it was a bit hard to grok what exactly you were getting at doing. (There are also reasons the math about how many components.xml would be touched and what might get dragged in to test it that weren't quite right, but it's a non-issue if the solution is different - it was more related to the fact that dragging all that stuff into configuration was clearly a bad idea).

Off the top of my head, I would think we should assign the permissions in the current code that checks for existence of roles on startup, and only when the roles did not previously exist. This will only get hit for the pre-configured repos - those added later will create the roles themselves and not configure any permissions. It should check the ID name against the default ones so it doesn't automatically assign to all those pre-configured by hand. If you are not content that is robust enough, I'd be happy with a flag <preconfigureGuestAccess>true|false</preconfigureGuestAccess> in the repository configuration that can be added to default-archiva.xml but is false by default.

Is that a better way to go?

Cheers,
Brett