OK,
For the record: after killing Archiva (btw, if you have a better alternative
than killing it, I'd be delighted to know about it. I have to use the exactly
same approach to manage continuum...), go to $ARCHIVA_HOME/data/ recursively
delete any .lck did the trick.

$ rm -i `find data/ -name "*.lck"`

Might not be the cleanest way, though :/

Cheers.