From: arie-l-boun...@mailman1.u.washington.edu
[mailto:arie-l-boun...@mailman1.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Brenda Austin
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 10:16 AM
To: Discussion of the Ariel Document Transmission System
Subject: RE: [ARIE-L] e-mail delivery

Again, emailing documents is generally taboo with regards to licensing
agreements. Or is not everyone abiding  the terms of agreements?  I find it all
very confusing.

Brenda Austin
ILL Coordinator
University of New England Libraries (UNB)
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, ME 04005
207-602-2386

>>> "Greer, Wally D." <wgr...@stlcc.edu> 2/27/2009 9:36 AM >>>
Wait until Google discovers a "cloud" app. With all of your statutory
requirements satisfied.

What you're doing with Ariel could easily be replaced with a third party
site. Ariel is just The Fax Machine Of The Darned Librarians. You wait
all day for Inter Library Loans to come out of the Fax Machine Of The
Darned.

There's no reason why this could not be handled (from a functional, not
legal) standpoint by making it a Library Of Congress shared document
center, or even e-mailed requests through Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, etc.
Then local mail server limits can be ignored. Our Mad Scientist Exchange
administrator is thinking of limiting us to 2048 bytes each. Yes, bytes,
singular.

OK. That was a slight exaggeration. But with average file sizes going
up, and the mail system being the default filing-system-of-record,
ordinary staff are getting throttled back to trivial box sizes.

Something has to give.

Wally Greer
Senior PC Tech
St. Louis Community College, Cosand Center
300 South Broadway
St. Louis MO 63102-2810
(314) 539-5104
wgr...@stlcc.edu