From: arie-l-boun...@mailman2.u.washington.edu
[mailto:arie-l-boun...@mailman2.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Antony
Hawkins
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:33 AM
To: ARIEL support mailing list
Subject: [ARIE-L] Internet Explorer 8 breaks patron delivery on Ariel 3.4

Hi all,

We have Ariel 3.4 running on a number of machines, currently running IE6. Upgrading to IE7 produces no problems.

When we upgrade to IE8 however, Patron Delivery fails. It does not matter what browser is used or set as default on the machine.

Investigating the error code in the log (12003) leads back to an FTP error when Ariel calls WinInet.dll (a windows component that permits 3rd-party apps to use FTP and other communication protocols).

WinInet is changed when IE8 is installed; this is why the actual browser being used is irrelevant.

I am told that 3.4, although officially "supported", is highly unlikely to be patched to take account of the change in WinInet and therefore is not actually supported in all instances, but only on machines with IE7 or earlier.

Our only other option appears to be to buy Ariel 4.1.1, although as yet we've had no official word that this works with IE8 either.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have 3.4 working, including Patron Delivery via FTP, on a WinXP box running IE8? If so, would you mind spending some time telling me how you configured it?

2. Can anyone confirm that 4.1.1 works, again including Patron Delivery, on an XP box running IE8?

Many thanks.

--

Antony Hawkins
University of Sheffield Library IT Manager

e-mail: a.d.hawk...@shef.ac.uk
Tel: 0114 222 7267
Mob: 0777 197 2191