We use the HP ScanJet 7650 with Ariel 3.4. On the one hand, it's a good
scanner. On the other hand, it's really made for documents. I asked HP about
changing the threshold so I can scan a book better on the bed, and they said
'why would you want to scan a book?'. I would have prefered the Fujitsu fi-6230
but it costs about $1200 instead of $800.

Our issue with the ScanJet 7650 is that we don't use their software, we use
ariel, and we can't change the light threshold, so if something is just a touch
off the glass it scans black. The software is complicated to use, it seems to
me, and our warranty is now over. But it's well made, just keep the glass clean.

Edward Helmrich
Iona College
Ryan Library
Interlibrary Loan Office