Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 10/14/2011 07:05 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/2011 10:54 AM, Chris Tyler wrote:
>>
>>> Note that the GuruPlug ships with a broken uboot, which uses the wrong
>>> machine identifier. To use a mainline kernel, you must munge the kernel
>>> machine ID or update the GuruPlug's uboot.
>>>
>> Ooh, good to know.
>>

>>> The phrase "the kernel we're working with" caught my eye. Which kernel
>>> are we talking about?
>>>
>> I'm specifically thinking of David Marlin's kernel as referenced here:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/Fedora_ARM_Kernels
>>

>>> (I've heard but have not verified that the Kirkwood and OMAP patch sets
>>> used to be pretty much mutually-exclusive; I haven't tried to build a
>>> unified kernel and hope this has been fixed).
>>>
>> Yuck.  I know David has been endeavoring to make his changes mesh easily
>> with additional parties adding their own pet board to the SRPM.  Most of
>> our systems are omap and tegra based so we haven't seriously looked into
>> kirkwood support.  If somebody wants to add kirkwood support they should
>> bear in mind your warning about the broken uboot.
>>

> I'm pretty sure that Kirkwood support required for the SheevaPlug has
> been in mainline since at least 2.6.35, possibly earlier. Whether OMAP
> patches break this, I don't know.
>
> In fact, Kirkwood is one of the few SoCs that has complete support for
> all of the extras, too, in the mainline kernel, too (e.g. crypto engine).

Someone built a 2.6.39 kernel for kirkwood (Dreamplug) by adding a
couple of patches to one of my earlier kernel SRPMs (which was also
tested on Panda/OMAP), but when we tried it on a 2.6.40 (3.0-based)
kernel SRPM the resultant image failed to boot.

I can probably dig up those packages if anyone who has a kirkwood system
wants to work on it.

d.marlin
=========