Hi Nico, Graeme,

On 03/27/2013 11:01 AM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Graeme Russ wrote:

>> Using FIT you should be able to bundle a unified uImage, initramfs and
>> FDT. You can then edit the FDT within U-Boot for device specific
>> parameters (like load address).
>
> IMHO this is the wrong direction to take for a distribution.  If you
> start bundling things together in a FIT image, you'll end up
> distributing one such image per supported target which is I believe what
> you wish to avoid in the first place.

I'm with Nico on this. We don't want to do Ubuntu-style hardware packs
and tailor per-board in the longer term any more than we need to. I
would favor just loading the kernel zImage (which is more than the
kernel anyway, it's also got the uncompressor, and it's the same concept
as how we boot x86) and having the specifics of where that is loaded
handled by U-Boot.

Prior to Brendan sending that mail last night, we had an internal RH
meeting wherein this topic came up (and precipitated the email). I
explained already in that and will repeat here that the ARM kernel is
already relocatable. It has only two major requirements right now:

0). That it be loaded into actual RAM somewhere. Most boards direct map
physical RAM at 0. Some do it at 2GB or higher. Others have aliasing
where you see physical RAM in two ranges and other weirdness. The reason
we have these different load addresses today is that the hardware
platforms are not all consistent around physical map.

1). That it be loaded at sufficient alignment (low-order bits 0x8000 due
to the exception vectors). Maybe that one even can/could/is handled by
the uncompressor. I dunno if that limitation is relaxed somewhere.

I mentioned already that I favor ignoring the uImage header and just
easiest way to do that is to drop uImage loading and do zImage.

Jon.