On Friday, September 21, 2001 9:27 PM  fabio guillermo rojas
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Other nobel prizes have been awarded to individuals that weren't
> formally trained. Some literature winners were not fiction writers,
> a recent physics went to an engineer and medicine/physiology often
> goes to non-MD biologists. If people started thinking contribution
> to economic thought, then we might open it up to people in b-schools,
> psychologists and others. thne it might get interesting.

Of course, there's no need to wait for the Nobel people to do that.  You can
always just form another award and hand that out on the criteria you feel
are more relevant.

I believe there are too many awards and too many awards ceremonies.  I'm
more interested in the work then the award or the awards process.  I guess
they are signaling devices, but some of them seem woefully distorted and I
wonder what they really signal.  (The Nobel Prize might be one of the better
ones, in terms of this, BUT look at who gets the peace prize.  In the past
decade or so, it looks more like a popularity contest than anything else.)

Cheers!

Daniel Ust
http://uweb.superlink.net/neptune/