Fred Foldvary wrote:

Right, but first one needs a brain, and in a world of plants and
bacteria, there are no brains to evolve into smarter brains.  I'm not
a botanist, but it seems to me unlikely that trees and ferns could
evolve brains.  Worms can branch off and become apes, but not
mushrooms.

I'll admit that evolution has made some amazing leaps. But isn't it more reasonable to conclude that evolution is powerful, not that we got incredibly lucky?

Fred Foldvary

===== [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "Infancy conforms to nobody: all conform to it, so that
         one babe commonly makes four or five out of the adults
         who prattle and play to it."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance"