On 2003-10-23, Bryan Caplan uttered:

>Check out almost any textbook: Thomas Bailey's is one obvious example.
>Schlesinger *Age of Roosevelt* and Hofstader's *American Political
>Tradition* are others.

It's easy to agree that this is the prevailing view of things: spending
cured the Depression. I wonder about explanatory power, though. Where's
the work that follows a coherent economic theory and goes through all the
relevant statistics, interpreting them according to the theory (whatever
it might be; probably old-Keynesian, but whatever), so that the analysis
arrives at purported causality instead of mere coincidence?

I've seen more than one Keynesian treatment of the Great Depression, yet
not one of them go as far as to actually test the hypotheses underlying
the vulgar-Keynesian thesis. They do not ambush their own presuppositions
with all the neo-classical, neo-Keynesian, supply-side, and even Austrian,
challenges that are out there. That makes most of them pretty boring,
really...
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], tel:+358-50-5756111