In a message dated 1/4/04 2:55:02 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>The number of people describing themselves as very happy has declined
>5% in the last 30 years. We are also more depressed than we used to be.

The growing social acceptance of depression might well explain the reported
change.  Thirty years ago if  you admitted to depression people thought you
were a bad person, selfish and self-indulgent (even more so if you had the
temerity to kill yourself).  Now if you feel depressed many people regard you as
having a disease, more likely due to an chemical imbalance than a lack of
character, and salute you if you try to get help, even if you remain fairly
unhappy/depressed.

David Levenstam