It is common for a movie distributor to take 90% percent of the revenue from
opening night, leaving 10% for the exhibitor. After the first week the
percentages usually move to 70% Distributor/ 30% exhibitor. If a movie is
highly anticipated, the distributor will demand guarantees, and will not
allow the distributor to accept discount/free passes and such. So, in that
sense, the distributor does make the ticket price part of their contract
with the exhibitor.

With one particular movie that I worked on recently, we also demanded that
theaters show our movie on their largest screen for a minimum of 8 weeks,
and if they showed the movie on more than one screen, they had to keep the
movie for 8 weeks on both screens.

Movie theatres rely on movie goers returning to see a movie a second and
third time. When people only see a movie once, they tend to lose out. (At
least, that's how the theatre owners see it.)

Michael Giesbrecht
IT Operations Software Engineering
Lucasfilm Ltd.