Robin Hanson wrote:

> People talk a lot about their difficulty in committing to long term plans.
> They choose savings plans that they can't get out of.  They take efforts to
> avoid being around tempting candy bars.

These look more like conflicting preferences to me than
"meta-rationality."  But I'll agree that we see a fair amount of this.

> People talk a lot about various irrationalities
> that they might fall into and ways they try to compensate for that.
> People talk about realizing that each person tends to think highly of
> him/herself, and trying to compensate for that.

People "talk a lot" about this?!  Maybe in a few odd sub-cultures.  I
can't recall any family member every talking this way, for example.
Maybe you're meta-rational, but I can't think of anyone else who
resembles you in this way. :-)

--
          Prof. Bryan Caplan               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

  "[W]hen we attempt to prove by direct argument, what is really
   self-evident, the reasoning will always be inconclusive; for it
   will either take for granted the thing to be proved, or something
   not more evident; and so, instead of giving strength to the
   conclusion, will rather tempt those to doubt of it, who never
   did so before."
    -- Thomas Reid, _Essays on the Active Powers of the Human Mind_