At 6:42 PM +0000 1/24/01, Yann Le Du wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, david friedman wrote:
>
>>  Going back to the original subject of the thread ...  .
>>
>>  John Lott gave a talk on campus last night. Among the interesting points:
>[SNIP]
>
>Concerning that story David Friedman reports, here's what I found (by
>the way, the Fresno Bee also doesn't mention that the 14 year old girl
>tried to use her parents' gun) :

I checked both the webbed version of the Bee story and the Nexis
version, and was unable to confirm John's version of the story. It
looked from those as though the original story said nothing about a
gun in the house (although it mentioned the eldest daughter, when she
got to a neighbor's, asking him to get his rifle and stop the man who
was killing her brother and sister). There was a another story two
days later, based on an interview with the children's great uncle,
which said that there was a gun in the house, that the children knew
how to fire it, but that it was locked up because of the safe storage
law. It didn't say anything about the daughter actually trying to get
the gun.

I emailed John, he said that someone had sent him the story, and he
would check when he got home. One possibility that occurred to me was
that someone mailed him the second story and he assumed it was the
first.
--
David Friedman
Professor of Law