Robin Hanson wrote:

> You sound like someone who likes Japanese food complaining that there
> are too many Chinese restaurants in your area.  Maybe you are really
> just unhappy with the preferences of the consumers around you.

That's most of the story, but you are missing a key difference.  Most
academics SAY they are seeking truth, not personal entertainment.
Moreover, if this point were widely admitted, a lot of the funding would
probably disappear.

Perhaps Pete is more like someone who likes Japanese food complaining
that the "Japanese" restaurants are really serving Chinese food.

--
                        Prof. Bryan Caplan
       Department of Economics      George Mason University

  "Familiar as the voice of the mind is to each, the highest merit we
   ascribe to Moses, Plato, and Milton is, that they set at naught
   books and traditions, and spoke not what men but what *they*
   thought. A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of
   light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the
   lustre of the firmament of bards and sages."
                --Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance"