I think Arthur Stinchcombe summarizes the interesting aspects
of academia in his book "Information and Organizations":

1. Colleges convert prestige into tuition dollars, donations and grants.

2. Prestige is based on smarts/quality, which is hard to measure.

3. Thus, academic managers (deans, provosts, etc) exert control
not by determining work output but controlling resources such
as office and lab space and teaching loads and let the professors
figure out who is the smartest/best.

4. Academic quality is measured by reputation because deans can't
determine for themselves if a professor is doing good work. This
creates the need for a stable academic community (the "discipline")
which deans can survey when trying to see if a given person
should be promoted.

5. This is a mechanism that emerged from the very unregulated
environment of the late 19th centure/early 20th - which is
when the American university was born.

I should also add that American academia is fairly unregulated
compared to every single other national system.

The federal gov't involvement is concentrated mostly in subsidizing
undergraduate education, some handouts to humanities/social science
professors and developing a broad scientific base of researchers that
can be tapped into in times of war.

Fabio