I detect something of a tension in academic economics.  Social science
would be vastly easier than economists make it out to be if we could
usually just ask people why they do things.  But economists are generally
skeptical of this approach, and so  try to infer reasons from behavior,
rather than from verbal explanations.  Yet within academia economists seem
to rely heavily on what other economists say, including about why they do
things.  We seem to largely accept economists explanations for why they
take on certain research projects, for why they make the choices they do in
modeling or regressions, and for why they reject or accept papers or
people, etc.

Do we in fact rely on economists' explanations of their own behavior as
little as we rely on other people's explanations of their behavior?  Do we
really think economists are more honest than others?  Or are we just
inconsistent?

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323